Canada has universities located in every region of the country. The number of universities in Canada is far less than the number of universities in the US. But here it is more about quality rather than quantity. These universities are internationally known for the quality of teaching and research. Canadian universities are largely publicly funded; as a result, they are of a consistently high quality, regardless of location or area of study. At the same time, they enjoy a high degree of academic autonomy.

There is no common entrance test and each university sets its own admission standards and assesses the qualifications of each applicant individually. The universities offer degrees from undergraduate to doctorates covering a wide range of courses. Every university has a niche for itself in some field of study. But all the universities offer an entry to students that have completed their certificate programs or diplomas in colleges. Some universities can also offer certificates and professional degrees.

Fees for universities vary from province to province, institution, and program of study. The university year usually runs from September to May. Some universities are on a semester or trimester system, with all courses available even in the summer.

Following are general requirements for admission to a program at the university. However, for some of the program, the student will have to meet some specific requirements. Such details are available on the university website.

For Undergraduate studies

  • Completion of the equivalent of a Canadian secondary school academic program with excellent scores.

For Graduate Studies

  • Completion of an acceptable undergraduate degree from an accredited/recognized university.
  • High level of academic achievement in previous studies.
  • Letters from Referees (Academic and work experience where required).
  • A good Statement of purpose defining why they want to do the program.
  • Standardized tests such as the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT).

Common to undergraduate and graduate studies

  • Proof of strong proficiency in English (or French if studies in French).
  • Students from countries where English is not the first language will be required to provide proof of language proficiency by way of a language proficiency test.
  • Francophone universities require international students to complete their own test of French proficiency.

Some institutions have other forms of English or French language assessment; they may offer their own language proficiency test or, may admit students to academic programs on the basis of having successfully completed that institution’s language program.

Upcoming Events

Welcome Volunteers

Featured Members

Explore more about Canada

Select Language