The education system in Alberta is quite advanced, and one of its governments top priorities. A lot of energy and focus is dedicated to the guidelines in which publicly funded schools in Alberta operate, called the Campus Alberta Principles and Objectives. These guidelines help to categorize each institution based on their academic programming, research activity, and learner focus. The Six Sectors defined by the Role and Mandates Policy Framework are as follows:
Comprehensive Academic and Research Institutions
- Baccalaureate and Applied Studies Institutions
- Polytechnical Institutions
- Comprehensive Community Institutions
- Independent Academic Institutions
- Specialized Arts and Culture Institutions
Alberta is also committed to growing their international student population. Many students also attend English as a Second Language (ELS) programs and have access to a wide variety of activities and clubs.