Student work options

Student work options

Canada understands the international student’s preferences and requirements. Its friendly policies will enable international students to work part time during their education, part of the course as co-op or internships and post study work after course completion. The international students will not only gain valuable Canadian work experience but also reap significant earnings.

Work during education:

Work during education is part-time and international students are allowed to work up to 20 hours a week. International students do not need a separate work permit to work while they study provided they are enrolled in a full-time post-secondary program in a Designated Learning Institution. The enrolled program has to be over 6 months in duration and leads to a degree, diploma, or certificate.

The part-time work can be on or off-campus. Most of the international students prefer to work while they study. There are many part-time work opportunities available to eligible international students. Usually, these types of jobs are working in the cafeteria, Call centres, Industrial Production Assistants or helpers, Retail sales jobs in supermarkets, departmental stores, hotels and motels, restaurants and bars, Sales and telemarketing, Administration or Clerical jobs.

Co-op or internships:

Some courses include work as part of the curriculum and it requires a separate co-op or internship work permit. These jobs are related to their field of study. Co-op programs are structured in a way that a semester of education is alternated with a semester of work or less. The Co-op work cannot be more than 50% of your total program of study. Co-ops are usually full-time and paid positions. It can be unpaid positions too and it depends on the employer and the field of study. English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL) programs or preparatory courses are not eligible for a co-op work.

Post Study work

Soon after the course completion, post-graduate work permit (PGWP) offers international students to work full time in Canada. This option gives Canada a competitive advantage over other international education destination countries. Students graduating from a 2+ year course may get up to three years of PGWP. Students in an 8-month to 2-year program can obtain a PGWP that is valid for up to the same length as their study program. PGWP is issued only once in a lifetime, therefore, you should choose the eligible program and the most appropriate duration of the course. Usually, it requires applying within 90 days after your course Completion. The work experience you gain while working may provide you the pathway for permanent residence.

Spouse or common-law partner work permit:

Your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible to apply for a work permit and it will be valid for the same period of time as your study permit. In order to be eligible for this work permit, your education has to be in a public post-secondary institution or CEGEP in Quebec or a private college-level school in Quebec or a private institution that can legally award degrees under provincial law.

Note: The above information is for brief reference purposes only. CIE-Co or its team will not guarantee the accuracy of the information as the policies, requirements and protocols may change time to time. Please refer to the following website for the most up-to-date information about studying and working in Canada.

Upcoming Events

Welcome Volunteers

Featured Members

Explore more about Canada

Select Language