Most international students need a study permit to study in Canada. If the desired program is lesser than six months then the study permit maybe not essential. For more information about study permit please review the following Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s (IRCC) website :Link

Student Direct Stream (SDS) is a new program replacing the previous Student Partnership Program (SPP). Under this category, the visa processing time is faster and it requires less documentation. The SDS program is applicable to the residents of the following countries: 

  • China
  • India
  • Morocco
  • Pakistan
  • Philippines
  • Senegal
  • Vietnam

For eligibility, requirements and process times please review the following Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s (IRCC) website: Link

Many educational institutions in Canada have scholarships for international students. You will need to contact the institution directly to find out more about the scholarships or bursaries they have available for international students. Please visit our scholarship page for further information. Link

If you want to renew your study permit, you must apply before the permit expires. If your study permit has expired, you must leave Canada. In some cases, you may be able to apply for restoration of status. However, you are not allowed to study until your status has been restored.

The first step is to be admitted to the Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI) recognized by the Government of Canada. Once an individual has received a letter of acceptance from a DLI, he or she may be able to apply for a study permit. Applications may be made online or by post. An applicant who has applied to an international Canadian Visa Office shall be issued a letter of approval to advise him or her to travel to the Canadian port of entry to obtain a study permit.

Tuition fees vary depending on the institution. Please contact the administration where you intend to study for further information.

Processing times for study permits vary depending on the visa office. For a complete list of processing times based on the visa office

Applicants interested in studying in Quebec need to first apply for a Certificat d’acceptation de Quebec (Certificate of Acceptance for Quebec, or CAQ) and then apply for a study permit

The applicant is not required to obtain a program study permit of a duration of less than six months. However, if the duration of the course is longer than six months, the prospective student will need to apply for a study permit.There are benefits to applying for a study permit even if you apply for a program that is less than six months old. Even if you do not need a study permit, it might be beneficial to apply for one. If, after completing your short-term studies, you decide to continue your studies in a new program without a study permit, you may be required to leave the country and apply through a Canadian visa office outside of Canada.

If an application is refused, the individual may be able to re-apply the new application.

An international student may be eligible to work while in Canada. A student must have a valid study permit and be enrolled in the Designated Learning Institution (DLI) on a full-time basis. Permit holders may be allowed to work for up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and full time during scheduled breaks.To work “on-campus” a student must meet the following criteria listed on this page. For off-campus travel, a research permit must be approved by a visa officer for off-campus work. If you are enrolled in a full-time college, technical or professional training program at a designated learning institution, you may be eligible to work “off-campus” without a work permit. It should be printed on the study permit, however, that you are allowed to work off-campus. International students must stop working on the day they no longer meet the eligibility requirements. There is a significant exception to this Regulation: students enrolled in the English as a Second Language (ESL) or the French as a Second Language (FSL) program are not allowed to work with a research permit.

Canadian immigration policy provides international students several ways to live and settle in the country following graduation. The prospect of an open work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) is a popular option for international students after graduation.Under the PGWPP, an individual who has studied full-time at a participating Designated Learning Institution (DLI) may be eligible to apply for a PGWP. Gaining work experience in Canada after graduation will help you apply for permanent residence in Canada through several immigration programs available. For more information on PGWP eligibility criteria, please visit this page. Generally, if a PGWP is issued, it is for the same duration as the applicant’s studies for a minimum of eight months and a maximum of three years

Yes, a potential international student can explore Canada as a visitor before studies begin. Individuals should verify whether they need a Temporary Resident Visas (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada

A spouse or common-law partner of a valid study permit holder, who is enrolled full-time at a qualified post-secondary institution, may be eligible to apply for an open work permit. The open work permit for a spouse or common-law partner may be valid for the same period as the study permit, and as long as the study permit remains valid. In the study permit application, the applicant should indicate that the spouse will accompany him or her to Canada. If a spouse later decides to study in Canada, he or she should submit his or her study permit application.For an accompanying spouse to be considered eligible for an open work permit, the study permit holder must be enrolled full-time at a degree-granting post-secondary institution. Eligible post-secondary institutions include:

The applicant may be required to undergo a medical examination based on the discretion of the visa officer

An applicant may need a criminal record check if he or she intends to come to Canada as a student. If necessary, he or she will have to obtain a police certificate from each country or territory where he or she has lived for six months or more consecutively from the age of 18.

You will need a medical examination if you will be in Canada for longer than six months.


If a student is transferring from one Designated Learning Institution (DLI) to another, even if it is at the same level of study, he or she must notify Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC) by updating his or her online account and ensuring that the school is a DLI. The same applies for post-secondary students changing their level of study (i.e. from a bachelor’s to master’s program). Please check the conditions listed on the study permit to verify whether the permit restricts the holder from studying at a particular institution or program.If a student transfers to a school, college, or university in Quebec, he or she will need to apply for a Certificate of Acceptance to Quebec (CAQ) and, if necessary, a new study permit. Primary students who are entering high school, as well as high school students who will move on to post-secondary education, must apply to modify their study permit.

An applicant’s dependent children may accompany him or her to Canada. However, an application for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) may be required for the accompanying dependent.

Canada study permit applicants need to prove that they have sufficient funds to cover college fees and financial capacity to support living expenses for the first year of study. This table shows the minimum funding you need to support yourself as a student and family member coming to Canada with you.



Scholarships may be available to international students from private, government or public institutions in Canada. Scholarships may be available to international students from the institution of study of their choice.

While a study permit allows international students to pursue their studies while in Canada, a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) allows an individual to enter Canada. An international student may need a TRV for entry depending on the country of citizenship. In the case of overseas applications, applicants from countries whose citizens require TRV to enter Canada will automatically be issued a TRV if the application for a study permit is approved. There is no need for these applicants to submit a separate TRV application and there is no separate fee. The same applies to applicants from countries whose citizens need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada by air.

Distance learning can be done through e-learning, correspondence, or online courses. Distance learning is a process that often involves the learning process by which technology is used so that students do not need to be physically present when teaching takes place. A study permit can not be issued for distance learning. However, if a distance learning program includes an in-Canada portion, and the length of the program is longer than six months then the student may receive a study permit for the in-Canada portion of the program.The duration of the study permit, however, is restricted to the duration of the in-Canada portion only.

Please note that IELTS or language proficiency proof may be required for acceptance in the majority of Canadian universities and colleges, however, this is an admission requirement and not a Canadian study permit requirement without application through the Student Partner program.It is therefore advisable that you check with the academic institution you wish to attend to determine whether IELTS is required and the scores required.

Canada requires citizens of certain countries to be provided with their biometrics (fingerprints and photographs). For a complete list of countries requiring biometric identification

taken by the visa officer based on the documents submitted with the initial application without allowing the applicant to submit the missing document.

Every province and territory in Canada shall decide on the age at which a person is considered to be an adult, also known as the age of majority. The age of majority is usually 18 or 19 years depending on the province or territory. There are special requirements for a minor to study in Canada if he or she is under the age of majority. A minor child must come with a parent or legal guardian or have a custodian in Canada.The custodian is a responsible adult who is also a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident designated to take care of and assist a minor child in Canada. The immigration officer must be convinced that when a minor child travels to Canada to study, he or she will have the proper care and support they need.The unaccompanied minors seeking to receive a study permit must select a custodian to take care of and support them while in Canada. To order to nominate a custodian, an application for a research permit must be submitted with the Custodianship Declaration Form. The declaration form must be signed by the custodian and the parents or legal guardians in the home country and approved by a lawyer or notary wherever it is signed.

If a person is already on a study or work permit in Canada, his or her accompanying minor child may be entitled to study without a study permit.A letter of approval from the Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI) is not needed for accompanying children. If he or she is no longer under the age of majority, he or she must apply for a research permit to pursue studies in Canada. The age of majority is different in each province and territory, although it is generally 18 or 19 years old. Any person under the age of majority is considered to be a minor.

Education in Canada can provide a route to Canadian permanent residence for international students. There are a range of federal and provincial programs available for international students to apply for immigration, and in some cases this can be done without a job offer.Canadian education and work experience award those eligible for additional points in the Federal Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System. For more information on the various programs available to international graduates please visit the IRCC website for more information.

Upcoming Events

Welcome Volunteers

Featured Members

Explore more about Canada

Select Language